Truly pure, truly regional
Along the ‘Peaks of the Balkans’ trail, the regional, alpine speciality dishes of Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo’s mountainous regions are offered.
Through the Taste the Peaks of the Balkans brand, home-made, fresh, local, traditionally-prepared dishes are served in the small restaurants, huts and guesthouses along the trail. The majority of these are sourced within 50 kilometres – and preferably from organic alpine farms. True to the philosophy: as local and as regional as possible.
Participating businesses can be recognised by the Taste the Peaks of the Balkans plate.
What are the benefits for the guest?
- Natural ingredients provide real taste
- The guest supports the local hosts by buying regional products
- The income goes directly to local producers
Who can participate?
Restaurants, guesthouses and tourist accommodations along the Peaks of the Balkans trail.
The goals of the initiative:
- Preservation of the traditional alpine cultural landscape
- Conservation of regional cuisine and cultural diversity
- Promotion of the local economy
- Sustainable use of energy and resources
The initiative serves as a quality label for local hosts. The label ‘Taste the Peaks of the Balkans’ represents authenticity, tradition, flavour and variety. The participating businesses in the Dinaric Alps of Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo are committed to put at least three locally-produced dishes on their menu.
The ‘Taste the Peaks of the Balkans’ initiative is intended to strengthen the cooperation of local hosts, innkeepers, mountain-hut operators, alpine farmers and regional food producers in the mountainous region of Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo.